It was built in 1731. At the time it was used to lodge politicians and high profile guests when they visited Fredensborg.
It used to be queen Ingrid's summer residence. She lived there until her death in 2000. It was renovated to house the young couple.
A look from the outside - the house has a pool and is situated in the fairytale like park of Fredensborg, where Mary does her jogging and riding.
The first years after their wedding Mary and Frederik (and their first two children) lived at Fredensborg all year round. Once their Copenhagen residence (Frederik VIIIs Palae at Amalienborg) was completely renovated the family of 6 started switching between the countryside and the city as well.